Monday, August 10, 2009

The Greatest Gifts of All





When was the last time you took inventory of all the gifts you've accumulated over the years? Some of us are great at keeping up with the "things" people give us to show how much we mean to them. Others, not so much.

The gifts we hold closest to our hearts are those that show the most thought that was put into selecting these gifts for us.

What I mean by this is...if someone knows you love to write he/she may decide giving you a journal would be more than sufficient for you. Or perhaps you are a person with a passion for cooking, then the latest cookbook or perhaps a nice set of knives would be more appropriate.

My point is, gifts given from the heart are those we cherish the most. They somehow manage through the years to go wherever we go. Some we store for safe keeping. Making certain that no one steals them, we don't lose them or they don't get damaged in any kind of way.

These gifts mean a lot to us.

Lately, I've been thinking about how much I've cared for the gifts that God has given me and to be quit honest I'm not in such good standing with Him. Lol.

You see, with me He really took His time and instilled in me many gifts in which I can exercise on the daily basis. They not only bring me joy but they bring joy to others as well. He knew me well enough to know what I'd need and want.

Take for instance, my singing. Not to brag or toot my own horn (toot toot!) but I've been compared to many of the "greats" you all know of today. Everyone from Whitney to Stephanie Mills, Yolanda Adams etc. The list goes on and on.

Aside from singing, I'm a gifted songwriter. So, I'm able to express how I feel with my voice AND my words. I'm able to touch others with these gifts as well. Whatever emotion I'm singing about is felt not only my soul but the souls of whomever is listening.

Talk about special? Now that I think about it, God must love me something great because those two gifts alone are as precious as diamonds. Not everyone can afford them but everyone wishes for them.

As if that's not enough, He instilled in me a strong sense of faith. With it I'm able to believe miracles happen. Now I know many of you may not understand where I'm coming from with this one but trust me when I say, having faith IS a gift from God. Not all are born with it but unlike singing it can be granted to you as you grow in your walk with Him. Thank God for that!

Also, included in my many gifts from God is the ability to motivate and inspire people. I'm a very passionate person and I can articulate that same passion from inside of me in words that people can relate to.

I can create things, such as the many "somethings out of nothings" I've chosen to decorate my home with. Some of you call this Interior Decorating. I just call it "being me".

The list just goes on and on. He's given me so much it's hard to keep up.

I wish I'd have taken inventory a long time ago. Some of these gifts have been placed in boxes never to be touched again. Others have been picked up periodically just to remind myself of their presence.

But whatever the case I've not fully shown gratitude to Him for what He's given me.

I have gifts inside of me that people wish they had. And here I am letting them slip away. Talk about spoiled! Maybe my parents aren't to blame maybe God started me on my path to being the worlds biggest brat! Lol. Maybe He gave me too much too soon. So much I didn't know what to do with it all. Or where to begin.

Good thing it's never too late. I'm going in my attic, basement, garage, hitting up all of the shelves in my closet and pulling down those dusty boxes once and for all.

In other words, I'm takin' inventory! Reflecting on all of the GOOD GIFTS God has given to me. Meditating on the fact that he loves me so much and has given me the gifts that matter most to me.

Who knew when He created me I'd be packaged this way? I mean sure, on the outside I have no complaints when it comes to my physical beauty but the real beauty lies within. And no matter where I go these gifts are inside of me. I am able to sing, write, create, have faith, inspire others no matter where I go.

So why haven't I been doing this you ask? Why don't more people know what God gave me? Why are these gifts not being displayed and used on the daily basis? Beats me!

I mean think about it, there's hardly ever a time someone gives you a gift that's from their heart AND you really love AND can use this gift BUT rarely use do. I promise that almost never happens! If the gift giver really knows and loves you and buys something for you that you can use, want and need. Trust me you'll appreciate it.

And it SHOULD be the same with God. He gives us our gifts to be used. He has plans to use those same gifts and us for his glory.

Maybe that's been my hang up?! Maybe my defiance is somehow related to my not being totally open to the will of God before today. Maybe I've been afraid to accept the fact that He loves me as much as He does and just maybe I've been afraid of the goodness that is me.

Just a thought.

Whatever the case, I thank Jesus for loving me enough to give me all that I possess inside. And I promise Him and myself that from now on whenever He or anyone else for that matter gives me something, I will be sure to cherish it as much as the giver who's giving the gift must cherish me.

Because the gifts that are given out of love are the greatest gifts of all!

Until next time...be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment