Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Back in the Daze When I was Young I'm Not a Kid Anymore But Some Daze I Sit and Wish I Was Kid Again..."




My o my...that was the song! I used to listen to it as a teenager and loved it then. But now, that I've actually been thru some things! It takes on a whole new meaning. Lol.

You see, I grew up in Middletown, Ohio. Right on the corner of 14th and Main. Our house sat right on the river. There was a park less thank 30 seconds away. All of the cousins and friends you can imagine within earshot ready and down for whatever whenever.

At the age of 5 or 6 I can't remember but I was allowed to go to the park alone, ride my bike within a block or 2 of my house, travel to the store for candy with my older siblings or any kid in the neighborhood for that matter.

Back then, we played til the street lights came on. Red Light-Green Light-STOP! (How many can remember that) Or the game simply titled "It"! Now, what exactly "it" was I'm still not sure, all I know is that's not something I wanted to be. Lol.

Or what about Freeze Tag? Lol. What in the heck? You run with all your might trying hard not to get caught because if you do you'd be "frozen"? God forbid you'd have to sneeze while frozen! Then you'd have to be "it"! Guess those two game kind of went hand and hand. Lol.

I guess what I'm trying to say is life was so simple back then. When trying to keep up with the rules to these games, asking for a buck for candy from the store, making it home before the street lights came on and figuring out which cousin I wanted to spend the night with was all I had to be concerned with.

Man, how things change.

I used to say "I can't wait til I'm a grown up"? Lol. Boy was I stupid!

Seems like kids have it the best. They can be free from all of the stress life brings.

I wish all I had to be upset about was being told I couldn't spend the night at my favorite cousins house at this point in my life. Heck, I'd even come home before dark if someone were to just take all of the my worries away. Lol.

Guess, I'm living in the past for a sec. Please forgive me.

Back then I never thought I'd be where I am today. Now don't misunderstand. Life and God have been so good to me. SO VERY GOOD.

It's just that I thought I'd be what I set out to be when I got ready to be it. SIMPLE AS THAT. Lol.

And if I'd fall I'd simply get back up. Kinda like learning to ride a bike. Let me take that back cause for me riding a bike wasn't that simple.

While learning to ride I not only fell off but I flew off! Right into some bushes! My parents laughed at me. Needless to say, I was ticked. I got up, kicked the bike and stormed away leaving them to chase me down the alley begging for me to "try again". Not fully understanding that life would be full of opportunities to "try again".

Anyway, not long after, that shiney new bike got the bike got the best of me and I was drawn to give it another whirl. Bruised and all, I wanted it just that badly! I wanted it so much that I was willing to not only face my fear of falling, learn from my mistakes, trust in my instincts and trust that if I fell I could always get back up again.

Nowadays it seems the older I get the harder it is to continue this mentality. Maybe the shiney new bike that once was my dream doesn't seem so tempting now. Maybe, just maybe it's not enough to entice me to give it another whirl. Whatever the case, I'm trying to envision myself balanced, pushing forward, focused on my destination and steadily moving ahead.

Yea easier said that done but nonetheless is a necessity. Just wish is was as easy to do now as it was then...

No comments:

Post a Comment